Thursday, October 16, 2014

DIY Halloween Pumpkin Topiary and Mantle Decor

Happy Halloween Lovelies!

So, today it's a bit of a different post for me...I don't typically do a lot of DIY projects but this one was so simple and really inexpensive so I had to share!

First, let's go over what you'll need:

3 pumpkins (mine are like a hard styrofoam)


Wooden dowels
Spray paint
Acrylic paint
Paint brushes


Now that you have your supplies, you will need something that you don't mind getting spray paint on.  I just used a piece of cardboard.  If you have orange pumpkins, obviously you don't need to do this step unless its a shade you don't like or if you wanted a different color than orange.  Purple and black would be super cute too.  

Anyhoo, I went ahead and spray painted all three pumpkins back to orange.  I left them on the cardboard while they dried for about 2 hours.



Once they were completely dry, my husband drilled holes in each of the pumpkins so they could be stacked using the wooden dowels.


You can obviously arrange them however you want them, I wanted mine a little off center so that's what we did.


Now that we are done with the spray paint and drilling holes to stack them with the dowels, we are ready to get the acrylic paint out and paint our lettering on the pumpkins.


When you are finished, it will look like this...and I love it!


We drilled two holes in the bottom pumpkin to have stakes so we could stick it in the flower bed by our front door.  We also have some orange lights up around the entry.



And there you have it!  Total cost for this project was $5 ( I already had the orange spray paint and the 3 pumpkins).  

Now, on to my indoor Halloween decor on my mantle.  Some of these items were DIY's from a few years ago as well, and the rest are from the dollar spot at Target!  

The canvas paintings are all DIY projects I did a few years ago.  A ghost, a candy corn and a pumpkin.


The garland is from the Target dollar spot, I bought two and it was plenty to fill the space on the mantle that needed a little somethin somethin.


The purple and orange skulls were in the Target Dollar spot and were actually $3 a piece, as well as the BOO sign on top of the clock.


And there you have it! My Halloween decor, I don't go over the top for sure but I'm really happy with how it's all turned out.  

If you decide to try my DIY project, let me know, I'd love to see how yours turn out!





14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette! Super easy and so cute, just the way I like my crafts! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!